Government Experience Strategy Director London and Bristol
We’re an internationally renowned user centred design consultancy working with some of the biggest names to make a difference to millions of people around the world.
We have a significant portfolio in Digital Government and we’re looking for an Experience Strategy Director (ESD) to lead that team (we call it a 'pod'). The team works on projects for central and local government departments, agencies and other bodies (such as the UK Space Agency). Our team excel in designing user-centred services that deliver policy and meet the needs of large, diverse audiences.
"cxpartners asked tough questions and stuck to their fundamental principle of putting the needs of the user first. They had the courage to say ’no’ - even when it would have been easier for them to come back with a positive result and win further work. Their integrity allowed PHE to take stock of its strategy for the first time in many years.
cxpartners showed integrity and resilience - it’s my pleasure to recommend them.”
Diarmaid Crean, Deputy Digital Director, Public Health England
Ultimately, you’ll be running a mini business within cxpartners. You’ll set an inspiring vision and roadmap for your team of talented and motivated consultants. You'll have responsibility for the quality of their work and for your team's commercial performance. As ESD, you will also set experience strategies for our key clients which transform their organisations, set us apart in the market and change the life of UK citizens for the better.
About this role
In particular you’ll:
- Develop a strategy for Digital Government which sets ambition for growth and strengthens cxpartners' mission and position in the market.
- Run your team to deliver on commercial (revenue, operating profit etc) targets - you’ll understand the fundamentals of how our business works, and our clients too.
- Lead and develop your team through setting clear vision and direction, rich line management and great mentoring skills - you’ll have quality and employee satisfaction KPIs well established.
- Develop a strategic vision for your key clients based on an intimate understanding of their business needs, looking for ways to add value and innovate.
- Provide strategic consultancy and expertise to guide our clients through change / transformation programmes: this is high value consultancy which sets the bar for continued engagement with our clients.
- Ensure clarity of that vision through delivery: guide the team, demand rationale and rigour throughout execution.
- Develop a pipeline of revenue built up of long-term programmes of work across existing accounts that have measurable benefits to users and our clients’ businesses.
- Lead winning new work. Develop relationships with new clients, attend new business meetings, create proposals and costings as well attend and promote at industry events.
- Collaborate with our project managers, UX consultants, designers and front-end developers to shape projects that are profitable, and meet your clients’ needs and expectations. Knowledge of agile and government delivery framework would be advantageous.
- Demonstrate thought leadership and share best practice knowledge to your team, the wider business and on the global experience design stage.
- Set the bar for quality, so we deliver work of the highest quality which meets our clients’ business goals.
Your skills, qualities and experience
- You'll have an established track record of winning and delivering work within the digital government sector - you’ll have experience of government procurement frameworks and GDS assessment.
- We imagine you’ll be well networked within the sector (conferences, meet-ups, social such as Twitter), with established relationships and thought leadership under your belt.
- You’ll care as much as we do about the need to involve users in the design process - for us this is essential and not a luxury that can be cut when budgets are tight.
- You’ll understand that great relationships are about building a sense of trust and honesty - so you won’t be afraid to have the difficult conversations that bring about long-term success.
- You’ll have great communication skills - the ability to listen, and to articulate complex ideas clearly, vividly, and concisely.
- You’ll have gravitas - outstanding presentation, written, verbal and persuasion skills with the ability to ‘hold the room’ and tell a compelling story.
- You’ll have great commercial awareness, and a proven record of building a sales pipeline, converting opportunities and growing accounts.
- You’ll be a leader people want to follow and learn from, and have experience of managing a team to meet financial, quality and employee satisfaction targets.
- You’ll have the right to live and work in the UK and be able to travel around the country for work once we’re out of these strange times!
- Finally, it’s likely you’ll need security clearance (e.g. BPSS) to work with most of our clients.
Please don't be put off applying because you aren't a perfect match for our job description. If you are excited about the opportunity, and think you can achieve the outcomes we are looking for, but aren't sure if you tick every box, we'd still love to hear from you.
We’re a great place to work – you’ll love the environment, the people and the way the company looks after its staff. You’ll also get a great package with a salary of between £60k - £70k if you’re based in Bristol, and £70k - £80k if you’re based in London, 25 days holiday, benefits including a smartphone, a cash-back healthcare scheme, a pension plan to which we’ll contribute, a MacBook and other kit as needed.
cxpartners are committed to training and run an extensive training programme which will support both your individual needs and our business ambitions.
cxpartners is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing products and services that work for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or any other legally protected status.
In 2020 we joined Sopra Steria group as a stand-alone subsidiary so that we can do the work we love at scale https://www.cxpartners.co.uk/our-thinking/cxpartners-joins-sopra-steria.
If you’d like to apply, please email email@example.com with a brief CV.