Senior user researcher Bristol
- Location: Bristol based (We are currently ‘remote-first’, but you may be required to attend client offices and cxpartners’ sites for meetings and workshops)
- Contract: Permanent, full-time
- Salary: £40,000 – £50,000
- Deadline: We will be reviewing applications for this role as they are submitted. So please don't delay your application, as the role may close without notice
This position is within our Financial Services (FS) ‘pod’ – one of our client-focused, mini business units. cxpartners’ mission is to have a positive impact on people’s lives by helping organisations become more customer centric and thrive. Applied in FS, that generally means helping our clients make the sector more relevant, accessible and fair to consumers. There are lots of satisfyingly knotty problems to solve, and it requires a different approach to design.
The FS team is obsessed with learning how people make complex decisions, then putting what we learn into practice. For example:
- Hargreaves Lansdown needed a new journey for clients drawing down on their pension – a challenging, irreversible process that many struggle to navigate. After identifying the barriers and hurdles, we designed comprehension checks to slow people down and prompts that nudge them toward better decisions. The result? People are nearly twice as likely to make long-term decisions when using the new journey.
- A large banking service provider wanted to create a digital debt collection service that considers the needs of those in vulnerable situations. We showed how users’ past experiences shaped their expectations of new ones, how important it was to earn their trust, and how easily it could be lost. We designed a solution that helped people struggling with debt feel more in control of their situation and make informed decisions about the options available to them.
If you’re the kind of person who can help us with challenges like these, let’s chat.
We’re a great place to work – you’ll love the environment, the people and the way the company looks after its staff.
cxpartners is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing products and services that work for everyone, so our team needs to reflect that too.
We particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or any other legally protected status.
Please don't be put off applying because you aren't a perfect match for our job description. If you are excited about the opportunity and think you can achieve the outcomes we are looking for, but aren't sure if you tick every box, we'd still love to hear from you.
Main duties and responsibilities
As a senior practitioner in a user-centred design business, you will be at the heart of everything we do to deliver high-quality work to our clients.
You’ll work collaboratively in a cross-functional team with other UX consultants, visual designers, technologists, project managers and clients to research and craft innovative design solutions that make a difference.
More specifically, you will:
- Work with our clients to help them use digital to best effect and to meet their users’ needs through the research, design, and development of excellent and innovative products, services and experiences
- Lead the day-to-day running and delivery of projects, and work closely with senior client stakeholders
- Help to shape, cost and communicate clear, outcome-led programmes of work
- Ensure team members understand their roles and responsibilities; you’ll mentor junior practitioners
- Mentor and coach our clients in user-centred thinking, upskilling their teams and leaving a legacy of knowledge
- Help to drive innovation in our ways of working
- Be proactive in projecting cxpartners’ value into our clients, their industries and the wider experience design community
- More than three years’ experience in a digital industry, ideally in a UX or creative agency
- Experience of working within a cross-disciplinary team
- Detailed knowledge and practical experience of UX methodology and practices
- The ability to run user research (both quantitative and qualitative) independently
- Experience with each stage of product/service design development and delivery
- Create ‘design experiments’ to test concepts in a range of fidelities
- To be used to working in a 'lean' way, and be familiar with agile methodologies
- Be confident building design systems
- Be proficient in research/design/prototyping methods and processes
- Understand and apply elements of the Service Design process
- A level of natural authority to help you lead your teams and to ensure clients listen to you, and people respond to you
- Emotional intelligence and an understanding of how to build strong, collaborative relationships
- To be happy to travel to our other office from time to time, and to work on-site with clients if and when that is needed. You’ll also be prepared to travel abroad
- The right to live and work in the UK
Given the nature of our work in financial services, we’re especially interested in hearing from candidates with a background in cognitive psychology/science and quantitative research methods.
- 25 days holiday
- MacBook laptop and iPhone with call plan
- A generous hobby fund and a personal training budget of £750 per annum
- Working from home budget
- Flexible working and supportive of remote working
- Cash-back healthcare scheme with BUPA
- Pension plan
- Life insurance
- Free eye test
- Support with a cxpartners buddy when you join
- Enhanced maternity and adoption pay
- Up to 2 weeks extra unpaid leave (after one year’s full service)
If you’d like to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief CV, covering letter and a link to your portfolio.