Programme Director London and Bristol
Sorry, this position no longer exists or has been filled
Please feel free to get in touch, though. We are always keen to meet good people : )
This is a full-time, permanent role in either our London or Bristol office. You will be working in our Home and Work ‘pod’, one of our client-focused, mini ‘business units’ (read Giles’ blog about pods here). The Home and Work (H&W) pod helps public and private organisations be relevant for individuals and families of today and tomorrow. The team operates as a design innovation partner for their clients, and creates brilliant service experiences that facilitate fulfilling lives and flourishing communities. Check out some of what the team has been up to here.
Project Management is central to the successful operation of cxpartners. You’ll play a crucial role in the Home and Work leadership team, overseeing the delivery of all client work, directly managing a team of Project Managers, and acting as ‘Operations Director’ for the pod.
You’ll report directly to our Experience Strategy Director (ESD) who runs the Home and Work pod. You’ll work in cross-functional teams with our UX Consultants, Designers and Developers. As one of the three most senior project managers in cxpartners, you will often work with our MD, Operations and Employee Experience Director, and Finance Director to solve programme challenges, and to help shape how cxpartners runs, improves and grows.
About this role
Collaboration and team working are key in this role. You will have great soft skills, the ability to communicate effectively both within cxpartners and externally, and the skills to develop relationships in a confident and friendly manner. You’ll have the gravitas, authority and experience to play a leadership role in the pod, and you’ll model great problem solving skills to your team.
We value people who show an interest in user-centred design, a passion for managing digital projects, strong attention to detail, and great written and spoken communication skills. We look for these qualities in how they present their work, and how they talk about their previous roles.
We’re looking for someone who has strong client-facing skills as well as great delivery experience. You’ll help our Client Services team to develop relationships with new and existing clients, and act as senior operational contact for a number of accounts.
Your specific objectives within the pod will be to:
- Actively manage profitability and develop strategies to improve pod profitability.
- Manage Project Managers in your pod. Recruit, line manage and coach all Project Managers (both Bristol and London based) in your pod.
- Identify and mitigate risks on projects. Work with project teams to identify and respond to challenges on projects.
- Scope new business opportunities. Lead on the scoping of new business, working closely with the pod ESD and Commercial Director.
- Support client and account development. For example, help spot new opportunities, manage client relationships, and plan the delivery of client development plans.
- Oversee project delivery. Oversee the quality of our project delivery, standardise tools and processes to help increase efficiencies.
- Deliver billable project/programme management. Act as a senior level billable resource across a number of projects (ideally larger programmes of work), attending, for example, quarterly review meetings.
- Champion new and best practice. Actively seek to bring in new methods and tools to improve our delivery process.
- Oversee project finances. Be responsible for the forecasting, management and measurement of all project finances in the Pod.
- Lead resourcing. Put together project teams, lead on the use of freelancers, manage resource and efficiency in the pod.
- Lead people planning. Works with pod ESD to structure the pod, identify, create the business case for, and recruit future hires, setup appropriate inductions etc.
- Help with culture and performance. Works with pod ESD to promote a positive culture, identify and address any challenges in the team (including addressing any performance issues).
Outside of the H&W pod, you will also:
- Be involved in the Project Management community of practice. Share tips, best practice and provide support to other PMs.
- Improve how we operate. Work with key members of the business to improve how we operate and ensure we are in a position to grow
The role will involve some travel, and we may ask you to spend a day or two a week in our London office.
Your personal qualities and experience:
You’ll have more than four years’ work experience in a digital industry, preferably in a UX or creative agency. In particular, you will have experience of leading a cross disciplinary team in an agile way.
You’ll have detailed knowledge and practical experience of project management methodology and practices.
You’ll have leadership and management experience.
You’ll have great communication skills (verbal and written) - the ability to listen, and to articulate complex ideas clearly, vividly, and concisely. You’ll have a quiet ‘natural authority’ with your team and clients that ensures you are listened to and people respond when appropriate.
You’ll demonstrate strong attention to detail, including financial detail.
You’ll have been educated to degree level education, or have equivalent demonstrable experience. We’d love you to have had some formal Project Management training (Scrum Master, for example) though equivalent experience is also fine.
You’ll have the right to live and work in the UK.
We’re a great place to work – you’ll love the environment, the people and the way the company looks after its staff. We are committed to training and run an extensive training programme which will support both your individual needs and our business ambitions. You’ll also get a great package with 25 days holiday, benefits including a smartphone, a cash-back healthcare scheme, a pension plan to which we’ll contribute, a MacBook and other kit as needed.
cxpartners is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing products and services that work for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or any other legally protected status.
If you’d like to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief CV.
No agencies please.